DIY Episode #2: Simple Straight Razor Cleanup
We are trying something a little different and kicking off a DIY series for wet shaving gear. This week’s episode is all about how to clean up a vintage straight razor with household items.
Basics of cleaning a straight razor:
- Mix up your polish of choice. I use Blue Magic (see link below)
- Spread on blade and tang, let sit a moment.
- Using a rag, apply pressure and rub polish into the blade. Be careful not to cut yourself, it is a razor after all.
- Rinse and repeat as needed. To assess the cleanliness, use a clean(er) rag and buff the metal to a high shine.
- Use a combination of q-tips, toothpicks, and pipe cleaners to clean around the pivot of the razor.
Please take a look at the video and tell me what you think!
Here is a quick list of the basics I used to clean the straight razor in the video. All pretty easy to find, but maybe someone will find it helpful.
If you have any hints or tips to pass on, please let me know in the comments below.
Have a great day and a smooth shave!